Oh man, this juice is so good. One of my favourite local companies Pulp & Press Juice Co. makes a beautiful liver rinse juice with beets, which sparked my love affair with beet juice. Beets are inexpensive, readily available during the fall and winter, and highly nutritious, and beet juice is fresh, earthy, and so so beautiful.
I know we all think of Thanksgiving as pumpkin pie and tofurkey, and trust me, that’s certainly on the menu, but I also think of it as a time to make my nutrition game plan for the fall and winter months ahead. And my theme as of right now is fortifying, strengthening, and boosting. I want my energy levels up! And this juice is a key piece of the puzzle.
I’ve tried to capture the utter brilliance of beet juice, but let me tell you, it’s even brighter than my photos can capture. I stood in rapture for several minutes just staring in awe before I remembered I made my juice to drink it.
So I did.
And like I said, delicious. The apples and orange balance the beet juice, and I added some beet tops for extra nutrition and greens. The fruit also adds Vitamin C, which helps with iron absorption. You can juice the whole beet (but try to buy organic), peel and all, and if you buy them from the market, they usually come WITH the tops, making your juice purchase go twice as far.
Happy juicing and Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy this holiday of gratitude and fall celebration, and revel in the glorious Autumn colours if they are out where you live. I wish vibrancy to you all!
Iron Boosting Fresh Fall Juice (with Beets)
- Author: Backyard Owl (original juice inspiration from Tarla Dalal Iron Relish Juice)
- Recipe Notes: gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, oil-free
- 2 small or 1 large beet (with tops)
- 2 small or 1 large apple
- 1 large orange
- beet tops (from beets)
- Scrub your fruit and slice into appropriate chunk sizes for your juicer. Beets can be unpeeled, as can apples (provided they are organic). Peel your orange, but don’t worry too much about the white pith – that just adds juicing flavour. Wash your beet tops thoroughly.
- Put through your juicer in the order your juicing guidelines recommend. Watch in awe as the first fuchsia gorgeousness emerges from your juiced beets.
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy immediately!
© Backyard Owl